Ever since I disabled comments due to unmanageable spam a few weeks ago, I’ve been looking for a solution. The latest versions of MT-Blacklist support comment moderation, but require Movable Type 3, and I’ve written before about how I don’t want to upgrade.
So instead I’ve migrated to WordPress. Its MT importer worked fairly well, although I did have to mess with a few entries due to differences in the auto-formatters. I had been using a whole slew of MT plugins, but it turns out that most of them either were built in to WordPress, had easily-found replacements on the WordPress Wiki, or turned out not to be something I cared all that about in the end. Ironically, the latter category included plugins I spent a long time writing, like threaded comments. The only real code I had to write was a WordPress version of MTResolveURLs. Overall, I’m fairly impressed with WordPress as a piece of software, although the documentation is almost nonexistent, especially compared with Movable Type’s excellent documentation.
Admittedly, I haven’t spent as much time customizing the look and feel of WordPress. Mostly, I took a stylesheet I found online and changed it some, and then hacked bits of the WordPress PHP files to move some things around. I’m fairly pleased with the look so far, but I’ll probably tweak things a bit over the next few weeks.
At any rate, things seem to be mostly working. I’ve skimmed through most of the old entries and they look okay. Since comments are now active, go ahead and leave one if something isn’t quite right…